Thursday, May 31, 2007

Recipe: Pudina Chutney


It has been very long since I last posted on my blog. As I said earlier, I was too busy with doing up the new flat, arranging for the grihapravesham, packing to move to the new place and also visiting Kerala to attend my nephew’s upanayanam. There are so many things to write about, it boggles my mind. I don’t know where to start.

We also had to suffer an unbearable summer. Kerala was worse with higher humidity. By the time I was back, I had prickly heat all over the body. Luckily for us, we have started getting rains for the past one week and the temperature has come down. I hope the rains continue.

Before I go into the details of grihapravesham and Kerala trip, let me give the recipe for Pudina Chutney, which our younger son has been asking for sometime now. Though I gave him the recipe over phone, he said, it tasted more like “chilli chutney” when he made it.

Pudina (mint) has excellent medicinal properties. It relieves indigestion, biliousness, flatulence, iron deficiency anaemia and hence including pudina chutney in everyday meal is very good for health. Tea prepared with pudina leaves to which a tsp. each of lime juice and honey are added is an excellent cure for common cold, sore throat and that bloated sensation in the stomach after a heavy meal.

A face pack of fresh pudina leaves cures pimples and blackheads and is a very good moisturizer.

So here is the genuine recipe for the chutney.


Ingredients:

Pudina leaves(mint leaves) : 2 cups
Coriander leaves : 2 cups
Green chillies : 3 or 4 nos.(according to taste)
Tamarind or : size of a marble
Tamarind paste : 1 tsp.
Jaggery : 1 tbsp.
Salt to taste
Curry leaves and ginger: optional



Method:

Wash the pudina leaves and coriander leaves and green chillies in running water and wipe with clean towel to remove all the moisture.

If using tamarind, soak in 2 tbsp. of hot water. Grind all the ingredients together. Your tasty pudina chutney is ready. ENJOY!



It may look like a lot of quantity of leaves to start with and so don’t grind in a very big jar of the blender. Add little quantity at a time and with each grinding the leaves will settle down when crushed and the whole lot of leaves will go in a smaller jar, which will be more convenient to grind. In a bigger jar, once all the leaves settle down the grinding won’t be proper as the quantity will be very little.

This chutney goes well with chapatis, puris, dosa, idli and rice. This can also be used as a sandwich filling.

Pudina chutney can also be used as a side dish for Molkoottal.

11 comments:

bee said...

you were missed. great to see you posting again.

bee

FH said...

Mint chutney looks great.Helps pimples? My 16yr old needs that now!;D

Richa said...

chutney looks yum! i make it a little different though, thanks for all the info @ mint!

Revathi said...

Glad to have you back.. eager to listen to all the stories...

Ammupatti said...

Hi All

I am overwhelmed. I wish Asha's daughter success in her trial.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I'm sure you all had lots of fun (and work) with all the functions.

Pudina chutney was a staple at home whenever the markets were flooded with 3 bunches for 1 Rs. (those were the days). Our indian mint is definitely very different from those we get abroad. But to be frank, I never liked pudina chutney (or thohayal) and made such faces whenever it was prepared at home. But as one grows older, suddenly all 'I hate it' becomes 'isn't it healthy and delicious'!

Thank you for sharing yet another traditional favourite. Please may I also use this comment to request mysore paak recipe!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Pudina Chutney looks green and fresh.
This is one item which gets brown once into the mixie and out.

May I request you to kindly indicate how to make the IDLI MILAGA PODI look dark brown?
Whenever i maake it tastes good but the colour is never dark brown..

Thanks

Ammupatti said...

Hi Jayalakshmi

May be u dry the pudina a wee bit more.Thats why it goes brown.My chutney always turn as green as u see in the pic.

I have given my idli molgapodi recipe elsewhere in my blog.May be if you fry the dals in a bit of oil it will look dark brown. It may turn rancid faster, though.

Anonymous said...

nice chutney recepe!
thanks for the post :)

Anonymous said...

Thank u :)

Unknown said...

Thank you.