Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Recipe: Puliyodarai

Puliyodarai is a perennial favorite and an easy extension of puliinji.
To make 4 servings:

Rice 250 gms.
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp.
Bengal gram dal 1 tbsp.
Pepper corns 1 tsp.
Jeera ½ tsp.
Dry coconut (copra) grated 2 tbsp.
Fresh curry leaves: a few

Oil 2tsp.
Ground nuts: 1 tbsp.

Puliinji (of course): 2 tbsp.

Cook rice with just enough water and 1 tsp of gingelly oil, so that the grains are separate. Spread in a wide pan.

Dry roast, coriander seeds, Bengal gram dal, pepper corns and jeera until the coriander seeds and dal turn light pink. Keep aside for a while to cool and powder.

Heat the oil and add the ground nuts. When they are fried, remove from heat, add the curry leaves and grated copra and pour to the cooked rice. Add 2 tbsps of prepared Puliinji and the ground powder. Mix well and serve. Best eaten with a deep fried side like papads or chips or (yes) salty nendran chips.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like reading your blog - especially your memories of the old days in Kerala. Do post more entries as they really bring the forgotten past back to life. My husband and I are 2nd generation expat malayalis and we miss the fact that we dont really know the Kerala way of life.

Great recipes as well - I read them when I feel hungry. Planning to try the elai adai one day when I can find jackfruit. If I can get chakka varati from Home then maybe that will solve the problem. Otherwise I'll have to cook the jackfruit till soft and then add the jaggery and coconut. Wish me luck!!